Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Courtesy of The Compost

 If these dark, grey, damp days don't soon quit, 

you just might find me somewhere... completely fungified!

Yesterday as I was dumping the morning's manure in the compost pile, I happened to notice all of the varied fungi on the pile...

I sure hope you aren't yet tired of mushroom pictures!

Fungi and bacteria help to break down the manure and turn it into rich compost.

There has been so much research lately into the world of fungi and just what an important role they play in the health of our Earth.  As of 2020, about 148,000 species of fungi had been identified, but it's estimated that there may be a couple million different species.  There is still so much about this kingdom that needs to be studied.  If I had a do-over, maybe I would study to become a mycologist!

My favorite of the day:

Thanks to the extended warm weather, we are still enjoying many of Summer's colors.

Blossoms on a rosebush next to the house... (both colors on a single bush.)

The next couple of blossoms are compliments of the barn kitties.  

Pete was trying to give you his best smile... 

Meanwhile, behind my back, someone else was holding a lovely pose...

As you can see, we still have zinnias blooming around the barn.

Of course, there are still plenty of morning glories adorning the garden fence.

All of this past summer's chicks are now full grown and well into their laying cycles.  We are getting between two and three dozen eggs daily from these girls - quite a difference from this summer when we were only getting a handful each day!  Now we have plenty of eggs to share with family, friends, and the local food pantry.



Our pond ducks have had lots of company lately.  I counted an additional 40 ducks yesterday afternoon.
Even the little black duck who visited last winter has returned to the pond.


They wait in line as I throw fish food to the koi.  I have to stand beside the pond for a few minutes so that the koi can have their breakfast without the ducks stealing it.  The duck feeder has been filled with plenty of pellets, but they always prefer fish food.  Fish food is too high in protein for ducks, however, so we try to discourage that behavior.


Two happy pigs awaiting their morning apple snacks...

Yummy!  They smack their lips and chew with their mouths open, truly enjoying every morsel and sounding like... well... pigs.  There's a reason your mother told you not to eat like a pig!


I've been trying to carve out a little time each day for "art" practice.  Yesterday I finished this miniature ink and watercolor picture of our old log cabin.


If you happen to run into the sun somewhere out there, could you please send it our way?  Our solar panels are soon going to forget how to work!  And I am seriously close to growing fungus on my person!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar